Lots of real-life events are taking place across North Somerset over the coming weeks to keep the family entertained.
Online events are also continuing for those who want to access entertainment at the touch of a button.
Here are a few ideas:
- could your child read six books in six weeks and learn more about saving the planet at the same time? If so, the Summer Reading Challenge has now begun. This year the Reading Agency has teamed up with the World Wildlife Fund for a special nature-themed challenge. It’s open to all four to 11-year-olds and they can sign up at any of our libraries. Rewards can be collected for each book they read until Saturday 11 September.
- budding archaeologists can go back in time during the Festival of Archaeology, starting tomorrow (Saturday) until Sunday 1 August. We’re working with Weston Museum to provide a range of events and activities linked. A mystery trail has been created to follow the museum’s mascot Rusty on his adventures around North Somerset. Find clues on the Know Your Place North Somerset Facebook page.
- online Rhymetime sessions still take place regularly for younger children to enjoy. Visit the library Facebook page or see all previous recordings on the YouTube channel.
- visitor numbers to attractions in North Somerset might still be limited or need booking in advance. Stay up-to-date with what’s happening by following Visit Weston on Facebook or the VisitWeston website, Discover Clevedon on Facebook or the Discover Clevedon website, or the Visit Somerset website.
- a new online resource for residents and visitors to Weston-super-Mare - featuring attractions, events, services, children’s clubs and more - has now launched. Visit Weston-super-Mare Rocks.
- ideas for culture and creativity at home can still be found on our website. The page lists a variety of organisations and activities, including Culture Weston, Fun Palaces, the National Theatre and more.
- Party in the Park is back. Local entertainer Action Pussycat is bringing fun and thrills to Ashcombe Park, in Weston-super-Mare, on Thursday 29 July. There will be live entertainment from Action Pussycat and Krazy Kev, craft activities from Weston super Rocks, Rainbow Sands and North Somerset Community Scrapstore, as well as face painting, slime making, inflatable rides and stalls. The free event starts at 11am. There will also be a Party in Park at the Lake Grounds in Portishead on Friday 6 August, from 11am-2pm.